I decided to pick up some additional tripods at Walmart knowing I would need more than one tripod to make a few instructional videos for the Private Investigator Advice website. I was feeling impatient so I didn’t order the tripods through Amazon though I should have as I would have saved a few dollars. One of the tripods I picked up was the Targus TG-5060TR, it was under $15.00 and to date, I had never really had a bad experience with the Targus brand. The last Targus product I purchased was the Targus Digital TG-MP6710 67-Inch Camera/Camcorder Monopod and I have loved it. Here is my review of the Targus TG-5060TR Tripod.
Targus TG-5060TR Tripod Review for Private Investigators
The following features for this tripod are listed below:
- Extends to 50”
- 3-way fluid pan-head
- Quick release plate
- Bubble level
- Quick release leg locks
- Folds to 17 inches
- Load capacity of 2.5 pounds
- Rubber grip feet
- Includes carrying case
The 50-inch tripod came with a carrying bag which was very convenient and out of the box felt extremely light, my first impression (before placing any cameras on it) was that the tripod would crumble if any weight was added to it. So I immediately attached my Canon T3i to see how it would fair under some reasonable weight. Surprisingly it held up ok though it was a bit wobbly where the camera mounted to the tripod. The tripod itself was stable but the connecting parts at the top were very loose fitting. This was likely due to being designed poorly and made cheaply (hence the reasonable price I purchased it for).
What I liked about the Targus TG-5060TR
- I liked the lightweight design and knowing that it would not be cumbersome to take with me at a moment’s notice. Coming with a carrying bag was a bonus as well.
- I liked that it had a quick release plate as this is a very important feature for a private investigator. I need to be able to detach the camera from the tripod very quickly when conducting surveillance.
- I additionally liked the three-way pan head and bubble level that was added to the tripod. They could have not added those features and still charged the same price for this tripod but they added it anyway.
What I Disliked about the Targus TG-5060TR
- The pan head area where the camera mount is made of very cheap plastic that feels as if it will not hold up to any rough handling.
- The attachment at the top wobbles slightly where the quick release plate is located. Not a deal breaker but slightly annoying.
- This thing is so darn light it makes me wonder if will stand up to the slightest bit of abuse in the field.
- While adjusting the neck of the tripod the tripod head disconnected from the neck of the tripod. I fixed it quickly but it should have never happened to begin with.
Should you buy it?
I recommend this tripod for someone who is on a budget, looking for an inexpensive backup tripod or looking for a cheap temporary replacement. Tripods that are used within a surveillance vehicle don’t always get put away properly during surveillance which allows for some abuse of a tripod to take place. If you don’t plan on using it in your vehicle and only want to use it outside then you might be ok. If you are looking for a long-term tripod then you might want to pass on this one.
Here is my affiliate link to the product on Amazon – Targus Tripod
Tripod Alternatives to the Targus TG-5060TR Tripod
If you feel you need something a little bit better or something that will hold up over time I would recommend the Manfrotto Compact Action Tripod which I reviewed.